Sunday 14 October 2012

Queries, questions and more questions....

Reader 4 - Developing lines of professional inquiry - details many theories behind inquiring as a professional within our practice. The links between work based learning and learning at the work place are two very different concepts that, when combining the two techniques, allow us to observe a greater spectrum of knowledge from differing angles. Its is this idea of intertwining our different disciplinary's - for example; teaching dance demands the understanding of education, yet requires knowledge of the arts - a term described by Kreber as 'transdisciplinary', that encourages the level of inquiry within our careers. This quote particularly captured me as I begin to structure some of my own inquiries;

'Inquiry based learning expects the adult learner to engage with relevant problems and scenarios, draw on existing knowledge, seek out new evidence, and analyse and present that evidence in appropriate ways.'
Kahn and O'Rourke, 2004.


  1. Who has successfully made a career transition? How did they do it? Though I am particularly focusing on the move from dance to TV, I feel that studying a multitude of effective transitions could provide me with an array of techniques. This can be from peers or family to people who are now in the position I'd like to achieve.  
  2. What do I already know? Before I approach others with my questions is there more I can find out for myself that will influence the type of questions I can ask? Being well informed before beginning my inquiry can avoid the occurrence of repetitive questions. The more I know, the more I can achieve from the knowledge and advice of others.
  3. Is there a process? Do I have to gain any further qualifications/courses? Is there a cross over between dance and TV? As a dancer I know that in order to acquire I job I must attend an audition, is this similar in TV? This is a question that would be applicable to somebody already in the industry.
  4. What does the job involve? I would love to learn what goes on behind the scenes as well as have the opportunity to make it in front of the camera. How will I learn what you need to know to keep up with the fast pace the media runs at?
  5. TV, radio and journalism are very much categorised as 'media', but what are the true interlinking factors? Would it be advisable for me to study literature on this topic as a broad term to gain a wider scope on the industry itself? 
  6. What influenced me to pursue this career transition? Despite interest, are there any other contributing factors? I have studied dance professionally for the majority of my life and am not quite prepared to draw the line yet, as I still enjoy dipping in and out of odd jobs. However what has altered essentially my passions?
  7. Will the training I have gained from my dance background give me an edge over other qualified candidates? Or will it be a negative factor?
  8. What is the employment rate in this industry? How many people are taken on annually? Which is the highest intake month for employment? Learning and studying these statistics can help when, where and how to apply. It can identify success rates, helping to formulate a realistic plan.
  9. Who do I already hold in my professional networks that can help me to expand in the appropriate direction? By reflecting upon my relevant networks I can start to learn and develop stronger and new contacts - 'it's not always what you know, but who you know'.
  10. How do I go about beginning my research? Who are the right people to ask? Or is there no wrong person? How do I process all my newly gathered information?
I feel that this is just the beginning of my questions, the more information and knowledge that is gained the further it will fuel the inquiring mind.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Simone, A couple of answers/thoughts for you...

    I think this type of performance transition has got easier now. There was a time that people were put into a box and labelled. Now it's possibly to have a diverse path. it could be a network thing, i think once you can perform in one discipline it would be easy to charm your way to another. It's all about confidence and self belief.

    Ahmet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ahmet, I completely agree with you! I think sometimes as performers we just like to be well informed before we make that first leap. If anything the challenge to learn and find out more is just interesting in itself. As I'm realising its not going to be something that is immediate, but having the versatility to still accept dance work aswell as beginning to turn my hand to another aspect of this industry is quite exciting. Did you ever experience a transition in your initial career?
    Thanks, Simone

    ReplyDelete