Thursday 18 October 2012

On another note....

Throughout my inquires one 'tool' that keeps coming to light is the art of 'networking'. Exploring this method in module 1 has really helped me notice how apparent and important each connection is. From conversations with varying people who have highlighted the importance of the internet in each of their career developments, sites such as Twitter and Facebook have re-surfaced themselves massively within this next module. An example of this, following on from my post 'More Media', it was explained to me how they were using Twitter professionally - by tweeting about their own profession, and to people already on their desired career ladder things such as; 'can we make tea for you?'. Lighthearted yet eye catching, connecting them to that next step. I found another example of this just simply speaking to my dad, as he is transferring his own business promotions and information over to the web. He has created web groups and a company Facebook page to keep up with how this form of advertisement is dominating the income of business. In addition, I have also been absolutely captured by the google chrome adverts that have been circulating both on the net and on the television. I feel it really explores the extent and power of the world wide web...




4 comments:

  1. Hi Simone, It is amazing how the world is brought together by communication through the internet. The video you posted sort of implies that someone, a MUM at her kitchen table can change world trends. Well here is a push into module two - what are the principles, assumption and ethical values in this. The internet has a democratisation element but what does this shift in power mean, is it as equal as it seems how is it controlled, why do we value it? How do these questions of communication and voice fit with your professional activity?
    Adesola

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree Adesola, I found the video really inspirational in how a 'mum' used the internet to her advantage to 'set the trend', the production of it really took you on her journey! Despite this depicting the 'good' side to the internet, I think there are still some major disadvantages in how open it is to the entire world. As we explored the web 2.0 platforms in module 1, I am now aware that as much as we can find out and view something or someone else, the same can also be said for finding information on ourselves, this I think can possibly be unethical as it is not always consented material. As professionals we have to be careful with what we divulge on the internet, how we post it, and what we can be linked to. Though it is a major form of communication in the world today, I think it is a much more powerful source than we are aware of. This is definitely a topic I could research further into to answer your questions more concisely, what is your opinion on this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have questions about the idea that setting a trend is something I want to do. And the idea that a 'mum' is some how the description of someone powerless and unheard. I mean the heads of many companies are 'mums'. What they mean is a woman who did not have access to a wide audience found one on the internet. But how she looked how she sounded what she sold all influenced the outcome. It was not just a great use of media it was also about looking like you told the kind of story people want to buy into. And in terms of a professional profile again it is somewhat about telling the kind of 'story' about yourself that people want to hear or can understand. Some people can never tell that story because there are aspects of their identity that never seem to fit into the kind of picture that is acceptable. This is the kind of ethical implications I was thinking about - questioning the assumption behind the ideas and words you encounter. I think a 'mum' making a piece of toast for her kid is inspirational I am not so sure about selling handbags around the world. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I viewed the video in that way. I didn't identify the 'mum' as being powerless or 'lesser than' but simply as someone that the majority could relate to. You didn't know her background so she could be completely successful in something else - being a mum in it's own right is a success. What grasped me was how she used, or how it was shown that she used, the internet to the the extent she did. She began merely by remembering how much she loved what can now be described as a 'vintage' item, and ended by sharing it with the world. It was more the journey which was encouraging, than the outcome. Thinking about how we should be using the internet to our advantage. I do understand what you are saying, because it is completely the 'feel good' production of the advert which pulls you along the story. It is clever in how it is compiled in that 'at home' environment, which is instantly a common factor to any onlooking audience. I think without fully analysing the ethics of this I can see how we can reach two different responses. Am I starting to understand a different train of thought, or am I still not reflecting far enough? How can I fully establish this?

    ReplyDelete