Sunday 14 October 2012

Looking at Literature...

I decided to begin gaining a background knowledge by studying the theories and findings of journalists, theorists, and people looking to learn more about my interest. Reflecting on Natalie Less and her post 'theories from existing literature', whereby she explores articles relating singularly to dance and then television, I have decided to build upon her findings.
The first article I explored was 'Emotion: An absent presence in career theory' by Jennifer M. Kidd. I found this intriguing to read and analyse as it did not just simply relay facts and figures, nor did it give advice on what is deemed to be the 'correct' way of achieving such change. It detailed, in broad terms, emotionally how to overcome such a situation. She says:

'The emphasis on initial occupational choice in traditional career theories is now plainly inadequate, since careers of the future will be characterized by sequences of decisions and work- role transitions throughout life.'

This reinforces the natural evolution between many careers, and characterises how it is no longer an uncommon feeling for anyone of us to gain the drive to push for something different. Building upon previous knowledge by other theorists she continues to support her theory:

'Furthermore, as Collin and Watts (1996) pointed out, the development in Britain of competency-based qualifications should make it much easier for individuals to move between occupations and develop work and professional identities which bridge traditional occupational categories.'

Reflecting back on some of my initial inquiries, this statement alone highlights the flexibility we have in this day and age to manoeuvre ourselves between different working sectors by establishing the qualifications gained throughout our entire performance training and career.
The emotional factors shown in this article also detail how career change can be the cause of social influences. By feeling pressured into choosing an initial path can lead to the act of 'wavering' and indecision later on:

'Studies by Arnold and Nicholson (1991) and Fournier and Payne (1994) both examined self-concept change in the early months and years of employment. Findings from both studies suggested that significant changes in self-concept occurred but these varied considerably between individual.'

Self esteem plays a huge part when applying yourself in the work place, which is what I feel these finding detail here when taking into consideration the possibilities of transitions.
Though some of the information I have learnt from this article differ greatly to what I feel are my reasons, I still feel gaining this understanding and knowledge has aided me in my inquiry.

The next article I looked at was an interview with Fearne Cotton. Though deemed at a celebrity status, she has still achieved a role enviable by most. Unknown to many, she is a trained dancer yet was catapulted into the public eye after winning a children's television presenting competition. Rather than using a source that detailed her background, I looked at her in her current success to see how she still captures us as the public today. I looked at the technique she applies as a presenter, and how she portrays herself in the public eye. I have posted the clip below and would be keen to learn of others opinions, as it is an objective form of evidence and knowledge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh15KDJGSpc

I am continuing to explore more literature and am sure to advise anymore of my findings soon on a bid to narrow down my inquiries.

5 comments:

  1. This is a great post Simone, I too have been looking at literature. I think this area would be a great inquiry for you and others would find it most useful...

    Ahmet

    ReplyDelete
  2. What areas of literature have you been looking at? I have found some of the articles daunting to start with as I am very much a 'picture' person, but am finding it interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fancy taking a look at the transitional journey from actor/performer to teacher. At least it's seems a good place to start. I was thinking of you the other day whilst teaching my professional students. There is this American pioneer for acting for the camera I discovered later on in my acting career. Jack Plotinck: http://www.jackplotnick.com. His methods and knowledge is really contempary and accessible...

    Ahmet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ahmet, I've just started to take a look at him! I was thinking, with your transition do you think it would be useful to look at the teaching methods and how the theories have involved, of teachers in general relating to the desired age group? Maybe it would be nice to gain a broad scope before narrowing it down to your subject? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great minds think alike Simone,

    I have been looking firstly at the Pioneers of teaching drama in a bid to gain understanding of where it all began and the methods that were out there. I then moved on to drama practitioners of today and then onto a more practical guide for the creativity in the classroom. This all has been a huge benefit for my PGCE application. It's all about sounding like you know what happened/happening within your practice.

    Ahmet

    ReplyDelete