Monday 18 February 2013

Putting a plan into action...

Following the submission and approval of my professional inquiry proposal it was time to explore my thoughts and theories in more practical terms. I was lucky enough to gain a weeks work experience working alongside the Soccer AM team, broadcast over the massive television station that is Sky. My role was to assist in the 'making' of the live show to be aired on Sky Sports2 on the Saturday. Throughout the duration of the week I was able to sit in on VT's, sound and visual editing, and also help with the organisation of props. The week was an absolute whirl wind of opportunity, adventure and experience and by the time the live show came around I couldn't put into words where the time had gone. I was trusted with looking after the guests back stage, taking drinks and food orders, and being on call if the team themselves had any missing props, or just needed a hand.
Throughout the week I became completely engulfed by this fast pace world television had to offer. Rather than forcing my initial methods of collecting data for my inquiry, I found that I was constantly asking questions (very informal interview) and inadvertently observing my surroundings, a technique I had previously criticised.
I recorded each day, hour, minute and second in my own journal, not only for the purpose of this inquiry, but because I was nearly fit to burst with all I had to say about my experience. This will come of great use to my inquiry when exploring the similarities and differences between the two industries (dance and media), as well as being able to share the different journeys others have taken to break into the world of television.
In addition, I have also been asked to come back and help out with each live show, broadcast every saturday. This massive opportunity will not only be integral to my own career transition, but will give me time to really master and establish a depth in data relevant to my professional inquiry, while exploring and building upon my techniques as methods of inquiry.
The video link posted below is a clip of the show last week, whereby they created a spoof of the latest craze 'The Harlem Shake'. Here I was able to put my professional dance training to great use (joke), see if you can spot me...

3 comments:

  1. Hi Simone

    What a fantastic experience!! It sounds like you had a great time. The perfect opportunity to gain an insight your chosen industry and to network! I am sure this will be invaluable to your BAPP inquiry.

    Have you been getting on with finding literature appropriate for your inquiry on transitions? I know the specific transitions for our inquiries are different but I am struggling in this area. I wondered if I am yet to discover things or if there is simply limited information on the subject?

    Hope you're well
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly,
    Thankyou, it has been an amazing opportunity giving me great insight for my inquiry - sometimes a little too much information to choose from!
    I have found literature a struggle also, as I haven't been able to find anything with direct relevance. I've looked at a lot of articles relating to specific people, or theorist. I have all of my reviews on my blog (as I feel I would forget my thoughts otherwise) so just take a look at them...I hope you find something of interest?!
    How are you getting on with your inquiry? Are you coming along to the next campus session?

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK thanks Simone, I'll check it out!! Getting to the campus sessions is really difficult of me at the moment but I really appreciate everyones blogs relaying all they learnt!

    Yea its going ok, I'm finding it difficult to stay on track with my inquiry though. When I have an interview or watch a class other questions or thoughts crop up that I am interested in. Whilst broad knowledge is good, I don't want to be sidetracked!

    I didn't realise there are so many options to pursue a teaching career, finding out about them is the tricky bit and also finding information that is valid! There seems to be so many courses and schemes which aren't actually that credible! On completion you are given basically a certificate of attendance which doesn't actually stand for much! Its frightening really!!

    How is you inquiry going?

    ReplyDelete