Tuesday 26 February 2013

It's not what you know, but who you know? - Revisiting Networks!

After exploring some evidence gathered within my pilots throughout my initial inquiry proposal, I started to discover this re-occuring thought - 'It's not what you know, but who you know'. The idea that building upon your own professional and social networks really can be that next stepping stone within your career. To further understand this idea I took a look back at my own previous research and reflection of Reader 3 entitled 'Critical Reflection on Reader 3: The Networked Professional'. Here I see how I am first introduced to this mechanism and the subheadings that define it stating:

'I found the idea of ‘affiliation’ most enthralling. It is a concept of which we can all relate to in the fact that we socialize and essentially ‘network’ with someone who we either have, or an affiliation has derived from.' (Simone Grandjean 2012)

This form of 'connecting' and 'networking' is still a prospect I very firmly believe to be imperative to our survival and success, and ultimately relevant to our progression within career transitions. To further this idea I discovered an article entitled 'Networking your way to career success' written by Liz Hughes. Here she builds upon the bas knowledge I have already gained when it comes to understanding the importance of networking and maintaining contacts throughout your professional and social intents. 

'The purpose of networking is to develop relationships that our mutually beneficial' (Liz Hughes 2003)

I feel that this is a very important prospect to take into consideration when developing your networks, as not only is it an advantage to yourself, but you must have some relevance to their circle also. Very much a 'give and take' relationship, it stands you in good stead and provides a good impression when your name is eventually passed on throughout that new circle.
She continues to describe an effective development of the networking strategy:

'An effective 'ice-breaker' with new connections is to find out how they became involved with the group hosting the event or how they met the individual who introduced you' (Liz Hughes 2003)

This is a technique I can very much relate to, particularly starting out in my current situation when being introduced to the Soccer AM team. I found that asking question, and having an enthusiasm and interest in what they were saying lead me to meeting more people, establishing a greater group of contacts to this networking group.
The final section provides advice on how to manage these networks, as once they are established it is the ability to maintain them that provides you with growth:

'By making networking an ongoing priority, you''l ensure your getting the most out of this valuable practice. Take advantage of new opportunities to establish connections and devote time to maintaining those relationships' (Liz Hughes 2003)

This truly is exceptional support for the arising theory with regards to the relevance of people - 'It's not what you know, but who you know.' In maintaing a good sense of contact and professionalism between the people you meet on a day to day basis really can influence that transition and put it into practice.



Hughes, L., (2003) Networking your way to career success. Women in business, 1, 25. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Simone.
    I was just going to post something about networking myself when I saw your post. I have found that just through the process of doing my inquiry and being forced(I'm not great at networking) to interact with new people or even the same people in different way has given more respect for the value in networking.
    I think the points that you highlight from your article are important ones, being able to start a dialogue with someone new about common interests, showing your enthusiasm and following this up by making networking a priority is massively important. Just by doing this within my inquiry I have been offered new work, simply because I showed a passion for a common interest and because they would like to know the outcome of my inquiry, so mutually beneficial and finally proving for myself that perhaps there is some truth in "its not what you know, but who you know".
    I hope you Inquiry is going well so far, look forward to reading some more of your posts.
    Danni.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Danni,
    Thats great news, what new job did the art of 'networking' enable you to secure? I completely agree with you, I wasn't great at this technique either, but in really forcing myself to maintain contact with a greater confidence I too have seen major advantages. I have also been able to learn from others of their networking successes, really supporting that theory 'it's not what but who you know'! Does your inquiry topic encompass this theory too? How is it all going?

    ReplyDelete