Monday 18 February 2013

Formative Feedback...the next platform!

I thought I would share with you all the next stage of my inquiry....Responding to feedback! I'm sure like many of you, I still feel a little hesitant about where I am going next, but shying away from the project definitely isn't helping. I look forward to conversing with you all, and trading stories with regards to our findings and that ever re-occuring 'next step' scenario...

Inquiry Title
I feel that I need to simplify and condense my introductory paragraph in order for me to create a suitable title, best describing the inquiry itself. I am looking to involve the idea of ‘career transitions’ and the similarities between the two differing disciplines in question. Therefore my initial thoughts are:

‘Exploring the similarities and differences between dance and media, for successful career transitions’

‘Discovering the emotional and theoretical advantages and dis-advantage when comparing the industries of media and dance’

‘Comparing a dancers world and the media industry, in a bid to achieve a successful career transition’

Tools
Though I previously criticised the method of observation, I feel that this will now become an integral part of my inquiry, as I have been given the opportunity to shadow and become an ‘on-looker’ in the production of a live television program.
I will still be using the technique of interviewing, though in a much more colloquial sense than I initially thought, while also asking an increasing number of people than I initially proposed. The questions I ask will be very much relevant to the person and their role within the production of the show, ultimately finding out about their own personal journey and how they ‘broke into the industry’.
I will still no longer use the method of survey, and have decided that due to time and convenience constraints it may no longer be feasible to execute a focus group. However the information I have attained from my pilot will be useful in terms of media as well of content and therefore will be brought forward when citing my final project.

Literature
I still wish to pursue the final three theories I stated in my previous proposal, and will be looking at literature to both support and contrast – as well as introducing a new side to the theoretical argument for dancers, and a generalised sense of career transitions. Though I have not discovered the particular articles or documentation yet they will detail and resemble the following theories:
‘Transitions within the elite (psychological) model’ Taylor and Ogilvie (1994)
‘Importance of education within the creative industry’ Clements (2011)

Ethics
As my ideas for ethics was very much generalised, I am looking forward to fully exploring this. I would like to look into ‘media law’, as well as Sky’s own company policies to show more depth to my research and exploration.

Artefact
This is the one subtitle I am struggling to elaborate upon. I would be really grateful for any suggestions as to how best produce this item with relevance to my inquiry, or any examples of other BAPP’s artefacts with regards to their own personal inquirys, to aid me in deciding upon and creating my own.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Simone

    I think your first title "comparing similarities and differences" is clear and simple.

    We share an interest with our inquiries, mine accessing the effectiveness of using ICT tools for teaching dance.

    With regards to using artefacts I will also be researching how best to present these. Perhaps we can create a focus group to discuss and share our ideas and invite other professionals with a similar interest?
    I will start by creating a power point presentation and include uses links to other visual aids, such as you-tube, student video clips and photos etc.

    I hope to see you at campus session.

    Gemma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Simone,

    I agree with Genma with the title. Sometimes we've got to much to say and it's about condensing it. I also had to do this with my title. Looking forward to updates from you.

    Ahmet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good place to start for the campus session on Friday - I am trying to think about general things to say that each person can incorporate into their own inquiry - I am now trying to define 'analysis' and had a quick word with Adesola to sound her out on this... we are writing an article together and I got told off for being behind - that's what peers are here for...she is right! I need to plan more effectively and get down to thinking about what I need to say. sound familiar? Literature does help if it helps you organise your thought OR gives you directions that you had never thought of...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankyou for all your comments, I agree with you both in the choice of title. It definitely is a challenge to find the balance in 'condensing'. After the first campus session on friday with Paula I was able to once again find the focus of my inquiry. I was able to refresh and familiarise myself with my topic once more, and being able to share the 'fear' of the next stage was very helpful. So many new terms to reflect upon, and apply now to my inquiry. I look forward to learning and sharing with you all!

    ReplyDelete