Wednesday 7 March 2012

Reflective Journal...

After exploring a variety of ways in which best to portray my 'critical reflection', I have stuck with the most traditional version - placing pen to paper and writing. Whilst toying with the different ways in which I could log my day to day experiences I started to discover more about myself and my preferences in the way I function accordingly in my day to day life. My findings were as follows:

Videography 
I found this the most uncomfortable of formats. Though it was fairly therapeutic simply being able to off load my thoughts in speech, I found it then difficult to re-watch myself and later use this as evidence. This really prompted my thinking;

'Even being a performer, why do I find it too over exposing to record and watch my thoughts?'


I came to the conclusion that as performer we are constantly criticizing or improving ourselves, so watching something as raw and unrehearsed as me 'playing' myself, was an art that we rarely experience. Our own experiences and feelings as people are very different to that as when we are 'playing' a role, something I have discovered I need to become more familiar and comfortable with.

Statistical
Though I do enjoy diagrams and figures, this form was far too impersonal and formal. I wasn't fully able to record any details, or 'real' experiences I would incur in any given day. Yes it was factual, but how can you gain 'accurate thoughts?'

How did I feel?
Where did I spend the majority of my day?
Writing
This is my chosen method, I have always throughly enjoyed writing, even before commencing this course I would often keep a journal intermittently to log my thoughts, feelings and experiences on any given day. I also often include any imagery that I have found compelling, or for memorabilia purposes on that specific day. I find it much easier to write, as I feel when you place pen to paper you are allowing yourself to record exactly what you choose to, still enabling you to critically reflect, without delving too deep into a downward spiral within your subconscious. I previously posted a short entry onto my blog entitled Journal post..., detailing my experience at Sky Studios.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment