Thursday 15 November 2012

Tools of Professional Inquiry...

Having defined and explored my focused line of inquiry and the ethics that surround it, I must now establish the most effective 'tools' to put into practice, in order for me to gain a greater insight and direction in discovery. To achieve this I am going to create an initial pilot of a variety of methods to fully understand their pros and cons, together with an analysis into how they suite and benefit my own line of inquiry.

Pilot Interview
Using this method, I feel I would like to approach it in a more colloquial manner. Keeping my interviewee at ease throughout the process will ensure a greater opportunity for them to fully elaborate, and ultimately provide me with a greater insight. Ideally I would like to arrange to apply this technique 'face to face' with an individual, as I feel you can learn even more from their gestures and facial expressions, but am more than happy to take data from telephone interviews also. I am looking to question someone already within the world of media, so I can gain a more personal insight into their experiences, line of work and what they feel is required to make it in this industry. I will be applying the following structured list of questions, however am prepared to deviate dependant on the information and knowledge I receive.  

1. What is your experience of a career transition?

2. What specifically can be identified as 'cross-overs' between the 'arts' and 'media'?

3. Although there is a keen sense of 'its not what you know, but who you know', what additional qualifications/knowledge can I gain to put myself 'a step ahead'?

4. What qualities are required to reach a career within this field?


Pilot Focus Group
Much like an interview, but combining the minds of a larger group of people with similar interests, characteristics or experiences. I would again approach this method in the same relaxed tone as the process described within the inquiry tool of an interview. Without even realising, this is a technique I have already practiced and analysed in a previous post 'More Media...'. Here I got together with my brother and four of his friends, all studying a degree in radio media, to understand their thoughts on this industry together with their newly found learnings, knowledge and aspirations. The initial questions I prepared in rough to create a focus were as follows:

1. Who inspired you to make this career choice and where/what do you aspire to be?
2. What have you learnt on this course so far - relative the the industry? New information?
3. Whats next - qualifications/courses/experience?
4. Do you think there is 'cross-overs' between medias?
5. Can your knowledge in radio be applied within the different sectors - can you advise me of these skills/knowledge?
6. Do you know how likely employment is within media?
7. Have you made any new contacts/broaden your networks - how did you go about this?

As predicted everyone bounced an abundance of opinions and ideas between each other, propelling the conversation off of different tangents to create the exciting and interesting atmosphere. I made evidence of the whole session by using a vocal recording device linked up to my laptop, to allow me to share my findings. In addition to the vast informational benefits, I was also taught how to cut down the interview (as the total time was 37minutes), embed a track behind our discussion, and edit the sound quality. The finish product is as follows:


Upon reflection of my first focus group, I am very pleased and appreciative of the new computer software and technology skills I have gained, with relevance to editing and portraying an interview in an innovative way. It was also a good form of self evaluation for me to hear the manner in which I conduct my questions for future reference, as well as progression into television and the media. I think I would next like to apply this tool of inquiry by collaborating the ideas of either members of the BAPP course or a group of my professional peers. I think I would concentrate on using the same focus of questions as detailed within the method of my pilot interview, and although open to deviations keep along a much more solid track to gain more qualitative research.


Pilot Survey
A less personal way in which to acquire a more quantitive form of research. I have created my own and would love to hear feedback on the way I have designed and used this method. I have initially created the pilot to further my own line of inquiry, by gathering information from yourselves on my focus topic. However while designing the questionnaire I felt that the formality of this approach would be less beneficial in comparison to the other more methods, given their more accommodating nature. Thus I feel that this technique may be at better use given post interviews/focus groups to establish the quality of this more personal approach.
In spite of my views I am still keen to here from you all, your opinions matter...



Pilot Observation
By nature of my inquiry, I am finding it difficult to use and reflect this method at its full advantage. I would love to gain first hand experience within television studios whereby I can observe others 'on the job', as well as participating myself to maximise my research and learning prospects. I am very much trying to create this opportunity, however to begin my pilot I will study 'behind the scenes' footage, more accessible for myself at this given moment in time. I will record what I notice about how each individual job is executed - from the runners, to the cameramen to the presenters - and how it all culminates to produce the programme as a whole. I will document and reflect upon my findings within my journal, as I observe a variety of media under the following headings:

1. Movements
2. Directions taken
3. Quantity of people required
4. Tasks

As each of these are all initial or 'pilot' plans I am very aware and prepared to make modifications as I begin to take the leap to gain a greater insight...

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you have been able to explore different methods of data collection. Have you focused in on one kind (or maybe two) that you will use, yet? You start to talk about the kind of data they produce (like when you say the survey is less personal). I just commented on Alicia's blog too to say the same thing I am writing now - which is: now you know the area of your inquiry let that sit for a bit and focus more on the method you are planning to use and how you design a research inquiry. Thinking about the doing of an inquiry - read literature about the method you choose (for instance about different kinds of interviews). When you finish your BA you will know more about your area through the research you do next term but you should also know how to plan and carry out some research from the work you do this term. (This includes feeling confident talking about how other people have tackled similar research what they did and why, what you planned and why.) Sounds like you are really working hard and doing some great exploration etc... Great to read this post and hear all about it. Keep up the great work.
    Adesola

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adesola, yes I definitely think using interviews and focus groups are going to be my best form for discovery. I have started to look at literature on both sides, in dance and in TV, but am still findings gaps in my research or maybe its just gaps in the way I am presenting it? I am starting to plan my proposal now and am stumbling on really showing depth in my writing for who this will benefit? I know who, but I am not quite providing the most apt evidence for why? Have you any suggestions for this? I am really getting into the 'nitty-gritty' of this inquiry but ordering my ideas is now seeming to be the challenge...I'm looking to send drafts soon as I find your feedback so helpful!

    ReplyDelete