Thursday 8 November 2012

Learning about Ethics!

Before reaching this point within the course, 'ethics' truly was a term unthought of for me. Being aware of the word and completely understanding its meaning in relation to yourself and your practice are two very different things. Prior to studying the course reader I took the time to see how it was defined in the dictionary:

'eth·ics   [eth-iks] 
plural noun
1. (used with a singular or plural verb) a system of moral principles: the ethics of a culture.

2. the rules of conduct recognised in respect to a particular class of human actions or a particular group, culture, etc.: medical ethics; Christian ethics.

3. moral principles, as of an individual: His ethics forbade betrayal of a confidence.

4. (usually used with a singular verb) that branch of philosophy dealing with values relating to human conduct, with respect to the rightness and wrongness of certain actions and to the goodness and badness of the motives and ends of such actions.'

These simple definitions just scratch the surface of all that encompasses the principles behind ethics. The word has many subdivisions, values and theories all of which we have an opinion on and adhere to, yet I feel without actually thinking and applying the term fully to myself, my inquiry at the least could portray a lack of informed principle and knowledge.

Personal Ethics
Relative to the beliefs and values of the individual. This often derives from ideas instilled by family, religion and conscience, which can be reflective of the nature/nurture debate.

Professional Ethics
Evolved from the conduct required in each varying professions. Each practice expects a certain manner to be applied when in the working environment for a number of differing rationale.

Organisational Ethics
Referring to the established 'ethos' of particular organisations - relative to professional ethics in a more generalised context in alignment to the specified place of work.

Each of these subheadings are essentially created within each aspect of life to construct social good. In essence a set of moral guidelines to ensure principle and value is maintained. All relating to me in varying ways, I feel that; professional ethics is an influential cause of my own upbringing and surroundings, professional ethics is my own code of conduct when approaching a form of work. These may varying dependant on the jobs requirement though, which is where organisational ethics come into play with its already established set of morals.
I further looked at the theories behind what appears to be this invisible ethical framework, known but not seen, to gain a greater understanding:

Consequentialist
Practicing the idea of moral obligation. This theory suggests the most ethical decision is one that creates good for the greatest number. For example lying, upon circumstance, can be justified if it benefited the greatest number of people.

Deontologist
A rule based theory where everything is always either right or wrong regardless of the situation it is applied to.

Virtue Ethics
Importance is placed on the moral behaviour and character of the person, opposed to the action taken.

When taken into account all three theories I felt the one least applicable within my profession was that of deontologist. Without exception I feel that you cannot apply the same set of rules far any given situation. For example take the act of 'lying', when taken to trial in a court of justice if you were to practice this it would be considered morally wrong and therefore unethical. However, if apply this to myself in a teaching situation I may encourage young children with praise to maintain their enthusiasm and happiness within class. The terms I use may not be entirely true, but the effect it has is definitely not unethical.
Consolidating all that I have learnt, I feel that ethics are very much a personal strategy. It is an unwritten code of which is applicable at a very individual level. What one person my hold in high regard, another may not even spare a thought for it. This is something I will have to be very cautious of as I assemble my inquiry and its methods ethically, to take into consideration the very personal values of others. It is my responsibility to cultivate a truthful and accurate research plan and portrayal, maintaing as much documentation for ethical proof throughout the process.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Simone,

    Your breakdown of ethics has helped me get my head around it a little more. I think it is true that we all have ethics in our daily practice but it is not until we look at it a bit deeper that we can begin to see them, like you said - known but not seen.

    In the campus session we disscussed how ethics remain but it is our ethical approach that changes. Time and geography are key dependants and also different situations we find ourselves in. In regards to our inquiry I think it is about being aware of varying ethical approaches and respecting them. I also think it is important to find people with different ethical approach not just those similar to our own - what do you think?

    Hollie x

    ReplyDelete