Saturday 11 February 2012

Reader 1 - Professional Communication Technology cont.

Following on from my initial review, I have since become a more active member within the web 2.0 world joining the newest and ever populating site that is Twitter. I knew there was a certain inevitability to eventually joining this site, but I also had two main influences throughout this past week which sped up the process for me. They are as follows:

1. My brother (Louis Grandjean) - He studies Media in Radio at Bournemouth University, so he's pretty clued up on all the 'latest' technology inclusive of all these web 2.0 platforms. He explained how Twitter was not just good on a social level, but its simpleness and ease in being able to follow anyone was furthering his knowledge and career. He could also catch up with all his peers at university on this site, discussing assignments and tasks.

2. Previous work colleague (John Wright) - His story alone is inspiring. After working a variety of jobs to help support his passion within music, he was eventually discovered by producers out in LA. Just before christmas him and his band moved out there - might I add, living directly under the 'HOLLYWOOD' sign - to pursue their music. We pass emails across Facebook fleetingly, but began discussing the importance of 'networking' as a performer. He explained how you need to be advertising yourself:

"No one will help you if your not willing to help yourself"


"It's not what you know, it's who you know"


These thought provoking statements rung out in my head, and that combined with my brothers knowledge spurred me on to creating my Twitter account:

https://twitter.com/#!/SimoneGrandjean


Despite these positives, I still have to be aware of the dangers (detailed in my first review) that Twitter has to offer. I have found that even though it is very much a form of 'social media', the view that 'anything goes' is very much mistaken. Making negative or abusive tweets could completely fall against you as a person or profession. Twitter is an extremely public web 2.0 platform, permission nor acceptance is needed to follow and read what someone is thinking or feeling at the time. I read this following article defining 'good tweets' and 'bad tweets':

http://www.onewomanmarketing.com/bad-tweets

4 comments:

  1. Interesting thoughts. How have you found making the blog?
    Adesola

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it exciting when your learning starts becoming apparent in your professional network. It's in emails and facebook messages and more. It really is the way professional communication works now, all we have to do is look for it to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Adesola, I have indeed found initially starting the blog quite a challenge, but am starting to get into the swing of it now, I hope I'm moving in the right direction?
    And yes I completely agree Ahmet, it's amazing how much more to this performance world there is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simone - Reading your most recent BLOG has made me think about a quote my friend used just the other day: "All the world's a stage". It is the phrase that begins a monologue from William Shakespeare's As You Like It.
    I have explained more about my thoughts on my BLOG as I didn't want to bombard yours, but thank you for giving me the opportunity to question yet another method of communication...Twitter! Please have a read and let me know your thoughts.:-)

    ReplyDelete