Thursday 14 March 2013

Campus session 2 - Progression...

Paula lead our second session on campus beginning with discussing where we were in terms of the challenge we face in this final module. I find these face-to-face discussions so helpful, as actually being able to say aloud brings a greater sense of reality to the BAPP course, as well as being incredibly interesting to listen to others discoveries. We then continued to tackle the sub-headings within the critical review, heres how they were best explained:

CRITICAL REVIEW

Introduction
  • Context of inquiry
  • Whats the question/questions
  • Relevant to workplace
  • Purpose - why?
  • Background
Evaluation
  • The process
  • What you've done?
  • Why you've done it?
  • What changed? 
  • Why did it change?
  • Reference proposal
Analysis
  • 'Quotes'
  • Anonymous participants represented as - participant A (2013)
  • Data explanation 
Critical Review
  • YOUR review of learning
  • Relevant to practice

We continued to further discuss the artefact establishing it as an extension of your own inquiry, representative of your journey. To provide us with some new thoughts on this part of the project Paula encouraged us to go out into the foyer to have a look at all the wonderful paintings for further inspiration. She asked us which picture best represented how we felt about our artefact, this was the image I choose:



I choose this picture because it detailed controversiality working to create a beautiful image. It combined two differing aspects to bring them as one within each image. This is how I feel about my artefact, by combining two different worlds of television and dance, I can create something beneficial truly depicting my learning throughout this inquiry. 
I was also able to share some information Adesola had provided me about the the term artefact, which has helped me greatly when affirming my thoughts throughout this experience. Heres what she said:

'You don't need to make a new thing up, you need to present your inquiry experience, you have to have most of the experience first to know what it is all about. You would be looking at the artefact being explaining what you did and what your interests are and what you question and found in a format that people at the television station would understand or people in the dance world would expect and understand. Just as the written paper is the format that university people understand. Each place has a slightly different language and different forms of presentation. The artefact shows us you know what these are in your field as well as how to write for the university setting (which is what the paper shows)...' Adesola (2013)

Yet again it was another completely invaluable session, filled with enlightening discussion and just a good catchup between us BAPP'ers!! 

10 comments:

  1. Hi Simone

    We must have attended the alternative sessions, I went in the afternoon and like you always find them to be very helpful. I now have a much clearer understanding of what an Artefact is and also ideas for creating mine. I am probably going to use a Power point presentation, as I can include pictures and video links. Are you going to use a picture/poster for yours then? Did you do a group exercise to discuss and write dow n your inquiry aims, tools and other ideas? We did this in pairs. I have used it to help me start my introduction section of the critical review (see my blog).

    Hope to see you at the next campus session,

    Gemma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gemma,
      Yes I attended the morning session this time due to working commitments, I feel in this last module I need all the face-to-face help I can get! That sounds like you have really grasped an understanding of where you are in terms of producing the final product, what specifics are you going to describe in your powerpoint? Who's your target audience?
      I am still brainstorming ideas for my artefact, I think I know I want it to be more targeted at 'the dancer' as an audience, and I want to use a compilation of text and video to describe me journey, but thats all I have so far!
      I think so, did you find Paula set a lot of thought provoking tasks this session?
      I hope to see there too!

      Delete
  2. Gemma - thanks so much for posting this. It was especially useful to see the way you laid out the structure of the written work - I'm a lot clearer on the format now.

    Adesola's comments were really interesting - looking at which forms of presentation are appropriate to our audience is crucial. Are you thinking of your artefact being 'for' the dance world or television world? And if so will you present the information differently?

    I know that my artefact is for actors, but haven't yet made a clear decision about whether it would be more targeted towards graduates, or those with more experience. I'll have to have a brainstorm about whether that matters - perhaps I may find out that my artefact needs to be accessible for actors of all ages. That in itself will present it's own challenges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie,
      Yes, once I had shared Adesola's comments Paula asked if I could re-write them for yourselves, but I felt a quotation was necessary in light of all the information she gives. I think I am focusing on my artefact being more for the 'dance world', finding a way of describing my journey for re-asurance and advice to others, though it is still a little grey in my mind!
      The artefact does feel like a challenge doesn't it, have you decided what media form you are going to use?

      Delete
  3. Simone,

    Thanks so much for this post. I have not yet had the time to construct a Blog about our campus session. Your bullet points offer a clear and concise way for us to understand the process that Paula explained to us and that we discussed in more detail.
    It was great to catch up with you and to hear about the progress you have made within your inquiry and throughout the course. Having the opportunity to observe within a job role has offered you an insight you may have only hoped for at the beginning of this course!
    I hope today went well and I look forward to seeing you / speaking with you again soon.

    Best Wishes,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, I tried to write a blog as soon as I could, I had so much information floating around my head after that session!
      It was so good to catch up with you too, how have you been getting on since the session? Any clearer on where you are pitching your artefact now?

      Delete
  4. Hi Simone

    Thank you for posting your thoughts on the campus session. For someone who is unable to attend the sessions, you offer a clear explanation of what was discussed. Very helpful!! The breakdown of the critical review will come in handy I'm sure!

    Thanks again
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly, I definitely get really overwhelmed with viewing the project in its entirety. Tackling it in bit-size sections is far less daunting for me! How is everything going with your inquiry? Is it all starting to piece together?

      Delete
  5. Hi Simone
    Thank you writing up about the campus sessions. It is great when the sessions get things going over the blogs. Keep going
    Adesola

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Adesola. I find the campus sessions so helpful, the face to face conversation really encourages you to explore further.

    ReplyDelete